The Support update has been officially released!
With most updates focussing on the majority of the players, we decided to have a new update focussed on something that is also important. Teamwork and support. Constructor has long been one of the least rewarding classes, but we are here to change this. Along with this, there are a lot of other changes. Let's have a look.
Constructor is one of the most useful classes, but not very tempting for people to play. Because the class isn't focussed on killing, users usually used to get a low kill-death ratio and lose a lot of score and points. No more.
- Constructors now get repairs for bracing and repairing gates
- Repairs give MVP and normal score (1 repair = 0.3 score)
- Repairs give points (1 repair = 0.3 points)
- Fixed not being able to repair gates on maps orcs defend
- Fixed attackers being able to repair enemy gates on maps orcs defend
These changes as a whole don't seem enough to change the problems that this class used to have. The gate changes, however, finish the improvements to this class. Other small class balances come with Medic, Mage and Torcher.
- Torches and fireballs now burn constrcutor wood
- Medics now get 0.5 points per heal
This helps counter constrcutors and prevent them being too strong. As well as making Medic worth a little more.
Gates have long been a pivotal part of the server. However, they haven't always made much sense. Although they worked, they just disappeared when you opened them or broke them, and blocking them wasn't always very useful. When gates broke, the defending team usually took the gate back very easily, and it helped them more than the attackers. These things have been fixed with a couple important changes.
- Now have two types: portcullises and gates
- Portcullises come down from above slowly instead of instantly
- Helm's Deep fortress gates changed to portcullises
- When broken, enemies now spawn closer to them, making them more important!
- Now have an open, closed and broken state
- Gates braced by constructor wood can no longer be opened
- Will actually look opened instead of disappear
- Will actually look broken instead of disappear
- When bashed now shows how much wood is bracing the gate
- Now gets double bash damage from trolls
To add to all these changes, we have also made a couple of improvements to some maps in general. These are mostly minor changes, but some do impact the game a lot, especially on Helm's Deep.
- Now a nighttime map
- Lobbies now themed
- Spawns moved
- Tunnel from fortress to sidekeep moved one level down
- Wall now blows up when flag gets captured
- Added big ladder after 15 minutes to help capture the gate
- Increased gate size
- Increased keep gate size
- New keep
- Orc spawn moves closer when wall gets blown up
- Improved general look around the second gate
- Increased third gate size
- Increased fourth gate size
- Increased fifth gate size
- Improved main gate horse statue
- Moved gates to square
While we will be continuing the trend of improving already added maps, the biggest changes have passed now. All maps are now reasonably fun and up to a certain standards. Of course, there will always remain prefered maps, but none of them are actually hated or bad anymore. We will still be thinking about Moria Gold and Cove, and what's to be done with those.
Lag, restock, class descriptions, and spawn protection
Although the lag has been signifcantly less since last update, there were still some big lagspikes. We've fixed some memory leaks that will hopefully decrease this lag a lot, making the server more fun with more online, because it won't keep freezing.
We have also added class descriptions to all classes. Whenever you left click a class sign, it now shows you what this class has, so you can have a better idea before buying or selecting it with right click.
There was also a small glitch that people could instantly restock (bypassing the new system) by holding right click on a restock chest. This has now been patched.
And finally, in order to reduce spawnkilling, everyone now has 1.5 second of invulnerability. Arrows will bounce off, sword hits will do nothing, etc. This means that people will always have a while to defend themselves.
And that's it for the support update. More updates may follow, so stay tuned! :)